How to Transition Well
Change is inevitable. It happens to us all.
The seasons of life change faster than we can keep up with them. Children grow up, move away, get married, and start having babies of their own that work their way into your heart. God promised us that the seasons of life would continue to emerge from one to another, so we could be aware and prepare for it. I want to transition well. How about you?
“To EVERYTHING there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven…” Ecclesiastes 3:1 AMPC
Every season of my life has provided so many precious, life-altering moments that are recorded in photo albums and ultimately embedded in my memory bank to recall during family gatherings and quiet moments of reflection. When we plan and prepare for a new season, the anticipation can be exciting and delightful. However, sometimes change comes without warning, and we are required to adjust to losses that rock our world. Many of us have experienced an unexpected loss of employment, a home foreclosure, a relationship severed, a health issue or the death of a loved one. These transitions are never easy, but there are precious promises from God’s Word that will strengthen and encourage us no matter what we may encounter.
Promise # 1: GOD WILL BE WITH YOU
“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me…” Psalm 23:4.
God promises to be with us in those dark places when the unexpected happens and we have to make big decisions. We can trust that He will walk through this with us, guide us and bring peace to our troubled hearts. When we feel as though things have been taken from us, or we feel abandoned and alone, God promises to never leave us. Even positive changes require a step of faith. Once again, God goes before us to make a way, and He will open doors we never expected or even imagined. We can trust that He will move with us and help us with every decision we bring to Him in prayer.
Promise # 2: GOD REVEALS TRUTH TO OUR HEARTS
“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” John 8:31.
With every alteration or adjustment in life, the enemy will do his best to put a negative spin on it. He is a liar and the father of lies. The devil will tell you “God has abandoned you” or “No one loves you” and “your future is hopeless.” The lies pile up like boxes on moving day! Even when the choice to move or try something new is your idea, the enemy will do whatever he can to rob you of your confidence and even cause you to question your judgement. But, thankfully we can trust God, His Word and the confirmations He gives. He will bring light to confusion, answers to lingering questions and peace for each new direction if we are seeking Him and putting Him first. When you have confidence in God’s love and care for you, it will be so much easier to respond in appropriate ways to people and to circumstances that you encounter on your journey.
Promise # 3: GOD WILL TELL YOU WHEN
“There is an opportune time to do things, a right time for everything on the earth…” Ecclesiastes 3:1 MSG
As a believer, God reminds us that in every season of life, there is an opportune time to do things and the right time for what God calls us to do. We can be confident that God will let us know when it is the right time for change. We don’t want to get ahead of God, but we also don’t want to wait too long and miss an opportunity or an open door that He brings our way. God is so faithful to give us revelation and understanding about the need for something new.
Here are a few signs that God has used in my life:
- Sensing a stirring in my spirit
- Feeling a longing in my heart that won’t go away
- Seeing a shift coming
- Unable to cast vision for the future
- Realizing the burden has lifted
“For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.” Isaiah 43:19
God has been speaking to my husband and I that it is time for us to move south to be near our children and grandchildren to invest in their future. We are excited about this new direction and the doors of opportunity that God will open for us. We have the utmost assurance that God will be making a way in the wilderness just for us! He will literally create rivers and pour out abundant blessings in every area of our lives. God keeps His promises!
Just as God has a plan for our lives, He also has a GREAT PLAN for each one that we will leave behind. Anyone we have served with on staff, developed a friendship with or ministered to can rest assured that God has new and exciting things in store for them in the days to come.
I would like to offer some simple suggestions to assist all of us during the transition:
- Saying goodbye is difficult. Even though I am leaving for very happy reasons, I will miss all of my wonderful friends and family. It has been the joy of my heart to provide a ministry where individuals have experienced amazing life transformations and spiritual increase. The victories, the miracles and the stories will be with me the rest of my life. May I encourage you to focus on all the great memories we have shared and rejoice in the faithfulness of God in place of any sadness you might experience.
- New beginnings are exciting. New leadership always generates lots of creativity and forward thinking, as it should! I will be rejoicing with you when fresh vision is cast, new events and ministries take shape and new faces appear on stage and social media platforms. It is healthy for a ministry to move forward and embrace the NEW! I encourage you to support and pray for the leader that God has chosen “for such a time as this” Esther 4:14.
- We will always be family. The great thing about joining the family of God is that it has a national and international expansion. There is no limit to the connections we share around the world. No matter where I go, I somehow meet up with people who are part of my family in Christ. There is no distance in prayer! We are a part of an amazing social network that is not limited by location or length of time apart. We can continue to uphold one another in prayer, celebrate ministry advancements and delight over family gatherings. And one day…we will all be together forever in His presence!
About Ruth Puleo :
Ruth Puleo is an ordained minister, conference speaker, writer, mentor, and serves as the Women of Purpose Director for the Penn-Del District of the Assemblies of God. She passionately seeks to impact the lives of women and girls with courage and inspiration to follow God’s call on their lives. Ruth and her husband, John were called to pastoral ministry for 38 years while raising their three children. The ultimate blessing has been the gift of eight precious grandchildren.